Re: [IP] Praise for parents of diabetics :o)~ Kinda long...sorry

Shannon hit the nail right on the head with that one!!! I can certainly
attest to that. Getting diabetes when I was 11 years old wasn't too difficult
for me (At that time, I thought I was,"cool," because I was the ONLY diabetic
in my school and I got special permission to leave my class at any time to
use the restroom, get a drink of water, eat a snack,etc. At that time, I made
it easy for my Mom to deal with me having this awful disease. Then, when I
was in my late teens, I decided I didn't want to be diabetic any longer. I
stopped checking my blood sugars, skipped doing shots, didn't eat right, etc.
 My Mom started going crazy trying to get me to do the right thing. She
didn't harp on me but she did ask me all the time if I've checked my blood or
did my shot. I'd lie to her just to get her to leave me alone. Then one day,
I landed in the hospital in diabetic coma. That REALLY freaked my Mom out and
when I got out of the hospital, she told me that from then on, if I didn't
take care of myself, she wasn't going to worry because she couldn't. She said
she'd be in the nut house if she kept worrying. Also, that was when my doctor
FIRED me for noncompliance. I felt like I was so alone. But that's when I met
the man who I'd eventually marry. When things got serious between us, my Mom,
without my knowledge, sat him down and told him everything. He then came to
me and said that IF I didn't start taking care of myself, he couldn't stay
with me because as he said, "I'm not going to sit here and watch you kill
yourself!!!"  That made me turn around and get back on track....then I got
pregnant and thank God I had been back on track....my doctor said that women
who constantly have high blood sugar while pregnant, tend to have children
with learning disabilities. Well, let me tell you... My daughter is a very
highly gifted student...she's at the top of her class and planning to go to
Harvard to become a college professor....AND she's only 9!! So, getting back
to the original subject.. My Mom is awesome, I know at times I didn't think
so, but now that I have a child and I'm all grown up, I think...well, that's
questionable I guess, but I'm 31 and I think my Mom is GREAT!! She put up
with a lot, lived through it, and now is my best friend!!
So cheers to all the parents, you really deserve a LOT of credit!!!

dx 10/1/81  (Florida)
Awaiting the arrival of my new pump, "Skippy"
Soon, very soon!!!!