Re: [IP] Re: child reluctant to start pump

In a message dated 3/9/01 10:29:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Kim, I just thought I'd tell you what my insurance said about paying for the
> pump...
> I have Tricare/Humana HMO insurance...they really aren't good for a lot of
> things, but for the pump, they pay 85% and another 85% for the supplies.
> I'm
> getting the Minimed 508 and the rep told me that I'd have about $700 before
> getting it. I don't know how you do it without insurannce for your
> daughter.
> I'd have a serious debt if I didn't have the insurance. Good luck with your
> new endevor (getting your daughter on the pump) I wish you both well!
> Elizabeth

Thanx Elizabeth that is good information to have.  $700 is still alot of
money.  I tell you diabetic supplies are so expensive!!!  We are not sure how
we do it without insurance either.  We are majorly in debt!!  Isn't that the
American way?  LOL
My husband is self employed & we have always had a terrible time finding
health insurance.  Then when Ash became diabetic we started looking even
harder.  There was no way with a new business we could afford insurance
itself.  To me that is crazy!!!  So we just ended up maxing out the credit
cards & we owe doctors offices our lives.  Luckily Ash has not needed to be
hospitalized since she was diagnosed (knock on wood).  At that time she was
in a diabetic coma & was hospitalized for 10 days.  But, anyway that is why
we are not on insurance.