Re: [IP] Feeling kind of alone

In a message dated 3/8/01 11:12:12 PM Pacific Standard Time, email @ redacted

> Moira,
>   After over a year I'm still asking myself that question...should I
> understand all of this stuff by now...?!!!  NEVER!!  And as far as no one
> at
> school knowing anything, Joshua is the only DMer at his school and the only
> IPer in his whole school district!!!  Talk about feeling alone...!!
>    Oh and for everyone on the list..Joshua did an OUTSTANDING job on his
> science fair project last week..BLUE RIBBON, he was asked to do his
> presentation for ALL of the judges and also again for an entire 6th grade
> class where he received a standing ovation!!!  I'm SOOOO PROUD!!!  But can
> you tell??!!!
>   Getting back to the school officials, none of the non-professionals (in
> other words no one except an RN) can really DO anything with your
> duaghter's
> pump, but it is a good idea to have the pump demonstrated for anyone
> interested.  I actually had the company rep for Dis come to the school and
> did an entire presentation.  She had over a dozen people there including
> all
> of the district RNs because they all know that this is going to become a
> common thing for any other DMers in the district and they wanted/NEEDED to
> know first hand what it was all about.  I still get calls occassionally
> from
> one of them asking questions about things and this is good.  And Joshua is
> always eager and willing to talk to anyone about it too!  So keep that in
> mind when you meet with the school officials that no one can mess with the
> pump but your daughter and a nurse!  But having a phone handy is always
> nice...HMMM!!!!
> Sylvia
> mom to Joshua
> Poulsbo, WA

Hi there,
  I just had to put my 2 cents in on this:-)  Ashley is the only diabetic in
her school but, there are a couple of others in the school district.  I have
to say that the school has been awesome in every way when it comes to Ashleys
Diabetes.  When Ashley was first diagnosed she was in Kindergarten.  As I
became educated I educated them.  Over the last few years I have them pretty
much on Ashleys schedule.
  I had the district nurse call me yesterday & ask me why there are no kids
in this school district on pumps.  I really had no idea.  I told her why we
were not & that it was only a matter of time so she had better get ready:-)
She has already went to a seminar for school nurses on it.  So she is already
ready for us. LOL