Re: [IP] recent diabetic

On 8 Mar 2001, at 9:19, M Blackwell wrote:

> Wondering if those who are pumping have been diabetic for a long time. OK,
> long time is relative, but I was diagnosed just last July and I think my

I'm not a long time DMer.  I was dx in Sep 99 and re-diagnosed as
T1 in Mar 00.  Went on the pump in Oct 00.  I'm 39.

But I'll put my 2 cents in anyway.

> hold up is that I just went through all the crap you go through when you
> first find out and I'm afraid to go through some of that again after getting
> the pump.  So I guess my hold up is being afraid of the psychological
> aspects.
> What are the psychological aspects of going on the pump? Did going on the
> pump bring back any emotions you had when first diagnosed? Are there any
> "new" diabetics who are on the pump and how was your experience? I guess I'm
> wondering if one has to be ready to make the leap to the pump and maybe it's
> better if the day-to-day aspects become routine first?  Do they become
> routine?  I still hate all the crap that we have to do, I still do it, but I
> hate it.
I'm an extreme needlephobe.  And I've always despised food and
anything to do with it (cooking, shopping, cleaning, planning and
the actual eating).  So becoming an insulin dependent diabetic
HAS to be karma.

I couldn't do syringes.  Made me suicidal.  So I went online and
found some alternatives--devices to help.  That worked ok.  Lente
and Regular, then Lente and Humalog.

The whole diabetes thing scared me so badly that, I must confess,
I truly obsessed on it for the first year.  Went lo carb before the T1
diagnosis and actually got my HbA1c down to 6.5% (from 12.1%).
Obviously I was still in the honeymoon.

Even with my injection-aids, I still was scared of that danged
needle.  So my control was only so-so.  And I was developing an
eating disorder on top of it.  From all that new fear of food.

I couldn't even *contemplate* the pump, because it involved a
needle that I'd have to stick under my own skin and tape down.

Then someone finally told me about the SofSets with the SofSerter.
All of a sudden, the pump seemed considerably more attractive
than before.

My main concerns with the pump were... prejudices, I guess.  I
thought of being attached to a pump as analogous to having a pace-
maker or colostomy bag.  I viewed those things as being for old-
people-ready-to-die.  Invalids.  I couldn't bear that thought.

The people on this group assured me that it wouldn't feel that way.

Then, one time, on my brother's boat out in the San Francisco
Bay, I went below to take my lunchtime shot and got instantly
seasick -- I can never go below when the boat's away from the
dock, but I couldn't give my shot up above cuz the water was a tad
too choppy and there isn't much room up there.. But I had to eat
anyway, cuz I'd already had my shot.  ick.

I began to think....... hmmmmm.....  If I was on the pump, I could
eat first, then push some buttons and be all done.  I wouldn't have
to go below.  I wouldn't have to draw up the syringe while fighting

As the days went by, I saw more and more situations where having
a pump could be so much more convenient.

The hard part of the adjustments were:
1) going potty and not letting the tubing dangle into the toilet. :-)
2) sleeping with it.  But I finally got that worked out to my
3) Learning about basals

I wear pants all the time (only wear a dress maybe twice a year....
weddings and Xmas parties), so figuring out how to wear a pump
with a dress hasn't been a problem (yet).

Otherwise, the things I love most about this pump are:
1) needle every 3-5 days instead of 3-5 times a day.

2) once the basals are set and I'm not eating, I can spend hours at
a time actually forgetting that I'm diabetic.  WOW.  After a year of
obsession, I suddenly find myself with lots of time on my hands.

3) when I was in the hospital, the staff was so intimidated by my
pump that they called my endo to get her permission to let me
handle my insulin on my own.  :-)

4) I have finally reached my goal weight.  I needed to gain weight
and I never felt confident enough about my syringe regimen to eat a
lot.  With the pump, I've had mashed potatoes and baked potatoes
and pasta, and pizza and chocolate..... mmmmmmm  back to
eating like a regular American.  (I know.... that's not necessarily a
healthy thing, but it sure tastes good!)

It took me a couple months to get used to it, but I sure can't
imagine going back to syringes again.