[IP] recent diabetic

I am 32 and was diagnosed with diabetes at 2 1/2
years. I don't have any kids, so this post is just my
perspective. Perhaps, if you let your daughter feel
like she was making the decision on her own, she would
respond. Make it seem like it is her idea, so she
doesn't have anything to rebel against. Have your
tried sending her to a seminar on pumping by herself?
Drop her off and pick her up right afterwards.

This may sound strange, but I wish my parents would
have let me go to my endo appointments alone after 10
years of age. They could have called the doctor later.
Of course that wouldn't have been prudent, but it is
just the thoughts of someone who has grown up with
this disease. I know parents need to be closely
involved, but diabetes seems to take away the a lot of
freedom from people. So, having the privilege to make
a few decisions on ones own is very empowering.

The threat of complications is foreign to kids. It
rarely hits home because they think they are immortal.
I finally got my act together after getting the
So often, the medical community will tell us what to
do, but not why we should do it. (They just don't have
time in the office visits and sometimes the education
is few and far between.) She needs to know exactly why
and how diabetes destroys the eyes and kidneys.
Getting enough "whys" is a different journey for

I wish you and your daughter the very best.

>Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 19:26:13 EST
>From: email @ redacted
>Subject: Re: [IP] recent diabetic

>Upon receiving your reply to my post, I read it to my

>daughter. But like most kids she chose to roll her
>eyes and walk away. My only hope is that some
>where in her head she is storing all this info and
>reflecting back on it.

Do You Yahoo!?