psychological aspects (was Re: [IP] Re: recent diabetic)

This is in no way meant to question your list of 10 things that you didn't
plagiarize - It is my attempt to look at the emotions (psychological
aspects) that I had/have related to the 10 statements....

I need to personally remember that my emotions ARE.  Without "feeling"
them, there is no way that I can (personally) reduce any "negative
energy"    that they may bring up within me....

Take what you like and leave the rest,

Jim S.
email @ redacted

At 03:15 PM 3/8/01 -0500, you wrote:
> time. OK, long time is relative, but I was diagnosed just last July and I
> think my hold up is that I just went through all the crap you go through
> when you first find out and I'm afraid to go through some of that again
> after getting the pump. So I guess my hold up is being afraid of the
> psychological aspects.>>>>

>I don't want to plagiarize, therefore, this list was compiled by another
>1. I can sleep until noon on the weekends without doing anything special
>and when I wake up I'm 115.

The sleeping in, I'll definitely say it's great...

When it comes to waking with a "normal" BG, my feelings are frustration and
on some days anger.... I have attempted (since the mid 80s, MDI and pump)
to identify highs or lows during the night and not been successful
determining what adjustments need to be made.  Any changes that I have made
(reducing or increasing insulin, timing, &) have resulted in a short term
"improvement" followed by a "back to the way it was" after varying lengths
of time.  It's as if waking up to do the testing has a physiological impact
that "invalidates" the testing results....

>  2. I can skip a meal, eat later, eat earlier, or eat sporadically all the
>live-long-day and just change my boluses.

To this one, my feelings are neutral...  I was doing that both on MDI and
with the pump - kept doing the same once I started on the pump....

>3. I can give an exact amount of insulin (tenths of units aren't available
>with shots).

A non-issue again for me... A half unit is not a problem (for me) with 30
unit syringes and I would "go crazy" (as in life is more pleasant if I am
less A/R - having been there personally) if I attempted to adjust for a BG
amount of less than 25 pts (half unit lowers MY BG 25 points).

>  4. I can decide to exercise at the spur of the moment and just change my
>basal rate without having a severe hypo

Again emotionally neutral for me....

>5. I can decide what I'm going to eat when I see it instead of trying to
>predict what I'm going to feel like eating four hours from now.

This one confuses me...  Why a 4 hour lead time, unless planning eating
using the basal (long-acting) insulin..... A bolus, is a bolus, is a bolus....

>6. I don't have ANY night hypo's anymore. (I used to pop out of bed 4-5
>times per week).
>7. I don't have daily hypos anymore & I don't have to stay over 150 in
>order to do it.
>8. I don't get headaches all the time from the roller coaster of going from
>387 to 43 in one afternoon.

Being solution oriented (and more than a little A/Retentive) this again
didn't particularly bother me.

Becoming aware of a regular problem was the most difficult for me...

I have never had a problem using myself as a "guinea pig" to see if another
method might be more effective.... When I started getting frustrated, I had
usually "analyzed" what was going on and was unable to find "the answer" on
my own.

Next step was "this is going on, any suggestions?" (of Dr, nurse,
?)  Biggest problem was realizing that I couldn't "do it myself" and needed
some help... (sometimes combined with self-worth issues - "I should be good
enough to....")

>9. No brainer: no more shots.

This one for me is DEFINITELY NOT a "No brainer"....  I don't know how many
times that I chose to use a syringe every 4 to 6 hours (for as long as 2
weeks) using R/V/H instead of replacing an infusion set....  At those times
I was UNWILLING to put in the infusion set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>10. I feel good/optimistic about tight control for the first time EVER.

To this one, I need to remember that no matter how I judge my "control" -
"TODAY I AM DOING THE BEST THAT I CAN" and no amount of "self-abuse" can
make it any better.....