Re: [IP] recent diabetic

Crystal.... I see your daughter in myself. I was 11 when I was dx, however...
the first few years I was under really tight control. However, when I started
going through puberty, I was a late bloomer, things changed. I wanted to be
"normal" just like all my peers. I had a hard time keeping up with my blood
sugars since I was always wanting to run around with my friends.  I always
snuck in a few snacks that my mom didn't know about when I was at school
because I just didn't care that much. However, from being out of control for
quite a while, I am NOW paying the price... years later. I'm now 31, a mom of
a beautiful 9 year old, and I have MANY complications of diabetes because I
didn't control my sugars. I have high blood pressure, gastroparesis,
neuropathy, retinopathy, gall bladder removed, an ulcer on my foot that went
bad and had to have surgery on....etc.  I know that kids don't like to be
lectured to, but perhaps if your daughter really knew what horrible things
could happen to her, she'd get under better control, even before going on the
pump. If I had a chance to do it all over again, believe me I'd be the
strictest diabetic anyone has ever seen!!!
I wish you and your daughter good luck in getting on the pump. From
everything I've heard, it sounds like it would be a wonderful tool in
diabetes management.
Take care,
dx 10/1/81 (Florida)
Awaiting the arrival of my new pump, Skippy!!
Soon, very soon!!!!!