Re: [IP] recent diabetic

In a message dated 3/8/2001 9:22:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Wondering if those who are pumping have been diabetic for a long time. OK,
 long time is relative, but I was diagnosed just last July and I think my
 hold up is that I just went through all the crap you go through when you
 first find out and I'm afraid to go through some of that again after getting
 the pump.  So I guess my hold up is being afraid of the psychological
 What are the psychological aspects of going on the pump? Did going on the
 pump bring back any emotions you had when first diagnosed? Are there any
 "new" diabetics who are on the pump and how was your experience? I guess I'm
 wondering if one has to be ready to make the leap to the pump and maybe it's
 better if the day-to-day aspects become routine first?  Do they become
 routine?  I still hate all the crap that we have to do, I still do it, but I
 hate it.
I can come out of lurkdom to answer this one. I was diagnosed and did shots
for a year before going on the pump. I had a horrible time with shots - was
either always high bg or had multiple hypos each day, and was miserable. I
didn't see any way I was going to live a long life, and wasn't sure I wanted
to if I had to feel that lousy all the time.
Since going on the pump I am absolutely convinced that I can live a long,
healthy, but more importantly HAPPY life. The pump allows me to be more
'normal' - to eat when I want and sleep when I want and live how I want,
instead of having a life dictated by when my insulin would peak. I still test
six or eight times each day, but I don't even think about doing it anymore.
Personally I see no reason to let the day to day stuff become routine if
you're going to be changing it. I'm grateful that I had my year on MDI only
so it could help me appreciate how very happy I am to be pumping. It's like
it gave me a second chance at life.