Re: [IP] CDE

<snip>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 19:29:05 EST
From: email @ redacted
My husband was in the military (US Army) and I had a heck of a time getting
an  Endo. So, I found a certified Diabetes educator. He was wonderful. Very
helpful and understanding of many situations. However, he was limited to
what
kinds of meds he could give me. Since I have neuropathy, he couldn't
prescribe the pain killers that I need. Beyond that, he was better than any
endo I ever had!! If your insurance will pay for you to see one, I highly
recommend it!!
Elizabeth
<snip>

Elizabeth I will have to agree with you there.  My hubby is in the Army and
here at Ft. Bragg there are no Endos.  (Go figure they call the hospital
here a "Medical Center"  But that's another vent to post about )  Anyway
they make do with an Adult Nurse Practitioner who is also a CDE. (they also
have an endo that comes from Walter Reed AMC in D.C. once a month for 2
days) This lady got me my pump.  In the 10+ years I have dealt with military
medicine and my diabetes she has been the best. (other than a female endo I
had in Germany for about 8 months)  Many people are getting their medical
care from Nurse Practitioners these days. Mainly because they seem to have a
more personal connection with their patients.  That may be something to keep
your eyes open for when looking for medical care.

Sheila Morris
NC moving to TX in 21 days