[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: [IP] CDE

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 19:29:05 EST
From: email @ redacted
My husband was in the military (US Army) and I had a heck of a time getting
an  Endo. So, I found a certified Diabetes educator. He was wonderful. Very
helpful and understanding of many situations. However, he was limited to
kinds of meds he could give me. Since I have neuropathy, he couldn't
prescribe the pain killers that I need. Beyond that, he was better than any
endo I ever had!! If your insurance will pay for you to see one, I highly
recommend it!!

Elizabeth I will have to agree with you there.  My hubby is in the Army and
here at Ft. Bragg there are no Endos.  (Go figure they call the hospital
here a "Medical Center"  But that's another vent to post about )  Anyway
they make do with an Adult Nurse Practitioner who is also a CDE. (they also
have an endo that comes from Walter Reed AMC in D.C. once a month for 2
days) This lady got me my pump.  In the 10+ years I have dealt with military
medicine and my diabetes she has been the best. (other than a female endo I
had in Germany for about 8 months)  Many people are getting their medical
care from Nurse Practitioners these days. Mainly because they seem to have a
more personal connection with their patients.  That may be something to keep
your eyes open for when looking for medical care.

Sheila Morris
NC moving to TX in 21 days
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
send a DONATION http://www.Insulin-Pumpers.org/donate.shtml