[IP] Good News!

Just had to share the news!  I've used a pump for 18 years, and don't want
to discourage anyone, but will admit that for a couple of years I became
very complacent about my treatment and health.  It can be easy (any
concurrence from other "old-timers" out there?) to just hum along and eat
what you want (just pump a bit more), become fatigued from monitoring all
the time, fingers are sore, etc.  Well, that's what I did.  Last June I had
a revelation that before long my daughter would be graduating high school
and going on to college and the rest of her life, and that I really wanted
to be around to witness all the milestones in her life, and that I needed to
get back on track.

Turns out that my A1c in March of 2000, even while using the pump, was
11.2!!!  (That's what I meant about complacency - laziness on my part was
more like it!)  When I went back to the endo in September, after my
treatment renaissance, my A1c was down to 7.4, but my microalbumin had
climbed from 167 to 309.  Just got the latest lab results from my visit last
week:  my A1c is down to 6.3 (normal in this lab is 5.8 - 6.5), and the
microalbumin is down to 99 (I've spilled since I suffered a serious kidney
infection back in '82 - and even higher when I was pregnant); everything
else looks good, and my endo is quite pleased.  I have a great endo, who
never lectured or berated me when I was being irresponsible, but he did
express his relief that I've gotten back on the mark and that the work I've
done in the last 6 months to take control has paid off.  Please, no
"bashing" for my being so irresponsible; I'm well aware that I could have
caused some irreparable damage to my health.  I'm just glad I "saw the
light" before things got much worse.

Kathy Fagan
dx 10/68, pumping since 12/82