[IP] First post-pump meeting with anti-pump endo!

Greetings all.

As promised here are the (hopefully unbiased) results of my meeting with my
anti-pump endo today:

I went in armed with the lab results showing the improvement in A1C and my
six pages of charts, pre/post comparatives, StdDevs, etc. etc.

He asked if i was using commercial software but I am not - just a worksheet
I wrote as endos here do not use computers to analysis trends etc.  So i
did it myself.

He opened as being quite amazed at my A1C.  He cautioned that the A1C is
not a fixed number as it varies from person to person and this is true.
5.1 for me may = 6.1 for another *using the same lab*.  It's just a measure
of improvement on control issues.  He admitted that the Standard Deviations
are the real measure though!  Still gotta get mine down another point.

I accomplished getting him to write a backdated letter of medical necessity
for the pumps so that I can use this for my taxes.  As well he is eagerly
writting prescriptions for my pump supplies!

He would not comment on the Children's Hopsital pump program nor tell me if
there were other adult pumpers in my province.  I told him I'd do the work
to set up a pump support group if there were other pumpers here.  Will see
what arrives in the mail next week with the letter and prescriptions.

In November he told me I "would fail like all the other pumpers".  For the
last three years he has insisted that pumping does not improve control etc
etc and cited all the problems with it including site problems which I wish
to cite here:

Today his tune was different.  After seeing my nearly scarless abdomen he
stated that it is relatively rare to have major site problems or
infections.  This is exactly opposite his anti-pump speeches of the past
three years.

I ahve to look after myself first (taxes) and he was short of time so I
didn't get to push as hard as I had wanted to for his help in organizing
any other pumpers that may be here.  I don;t know where he stands on this.
I will write him about this issue after I see the documents he sends me
next week.

This endo knows the "terms" associated with pumping but still asked if I
"changed the basals or if the pump did it" for me.  I'm not comfortable
with this comment.

Work in progress I guess.  He did say that he couldn't help me any further
except for the complication side of DM and simply to book an apt for
routine blood and urine tests in 4 months.

I'm not sure where he stands.  I endeavour to save one sinner for that is
worth 1000 endos who have always been pro-pump...

...if he would have given me a prescription for the pump when I asked for
it three years ago; I'd be $3,000 ahead and out of a now very complicated
tax situation.  But hey - I got my health!

I pointed out that an informational and emotional support group was as
necessary as indiviual motivation and dedication for pumping and that I
found mine in the IPlist.  I told him that if there were any others like me
here to please refer them to the Iplist and otherwise I'd be happy to help
with what I could.

Guess it will be 4 months to the next update.

My sincere and warmest thanks to all you great people who have helped me.
Thanks so much!  Now to keep paying forward.

Darrin Parker - Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 3 months thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends &
the http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/ mailing list.

of MDI!  (To date:  53% improvement in average bg's & 70% fewer hypos.
Pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  First post-pump HeA1C = 5.1  (N = 4.3 - 5.8).