[IP] Re: What does a CDE do for you?

> I have a qeustion? What does a CDE do for you and how often do you see them?
> I have heard many of you talk about them and was wondering. Curently I only
> see my endo.

Can't speak for all CDE's, but will give you an idea of what we do in our clinic.
We get to know you as much as possible, help you identify the problems you are having with your control and try to help find the solutions.  If it is diet, we can help with different plans, teach carb counting or other options.  I work with a number of people on rotating shifts and help then determine plans for different schedules they work.
We teach blood glucose monitoring (if you don't already do so), target ranges, help you get another meter if you a not happy with the one you are using, or if you need different features.
We help you with your meds, i.e. insulin adjustments, med changes if needed. We teach people how to use the pump and followup with them frequently (every 2-4 weeks here) until they are satisfied with their basal rates and bolus formulas.
We teach Diabetes Education classes, help with support groups, summer camps, health fairs and seminars.
In short, we focus on the patient with diabetes and helping him/her with optimal control.  You really should add one of us to your team, as we are your biggest advocate!

Bonnie A. Stone, RD, CDE, Certified Pump Trainer