[IP] infection at insertion site - weight gain

Hi Geneece:
I don't know anything about the infection at leg site insertion, but I do know
your weight can be controlled with the pump, etc.  It just takes a lot of
work.  I just started on my pump on 12-26-00 and was finally allowed to
exercise again about 3 weeks ago.  I had tried turning my pump off one hour
before exercising and then for the second hour keeping the pump off and doing
one hour on the treadmill at 3.5 mph.  I stayed okay while exercising but
always went high afterward due to having the pump off so long and it had to
catch back up.  My CDE's husband was hurt really bad a week ago and now she is
off until June or later.  I talked with the Animas clinical manager who was at
my pump training and she helped me with some things regarding exercise and
today, for the 3rd time, I used her suggestion of turning the pump to minus
50% basal for one hour before exercising and leaving it at minus 50% for the
hour on the treadmill and then having it come back to regular basal just as I
was done exercising.  This has been working good for me so far - no extra
foods required this way for extra weight gain.   Today my BS was 126 one hour
before exercise when I turned the pump down, 113 just when I started to
exercise so I took one glucose tablet, 130 after 25 minutes on the treadmill
and 105 after the complete hour on the treadmill.  It has taken a lot of work
and calculations to figure it out but keep at it and it will work.  I was so
excited today to see that my sugars all stayed within 30 points of each other
while doing one hour on the treadmill at 3.5 mph with no extra food (except
for one glucose tablet).  I had previous taken 2 to 4 tablets upon starting
exercise as it took that many when I was on Ultra Lente/Humalog shots - but
with the pump being turned down it only takes just a little bit of glucose to
keep the sugars level.
Don't give up on the exercise - just keep trying different things.  I had been
gaining weight before the pump as I was always eating extra just to be able to
exercise.  I am so excited not to be doing that anymore!
Good Luck!