Re: [IP] Diabetes Product Fair Last Night - Long

> The Minimed rep
>was a jerk.  He spent all his time bashing Disetronic,
>not selling Minimed.  When he saw Jessica had a D
>pump, he broke off his conversation with a school
>nurse to ask us some questions.  He asked what Dr. we
>used, and when we told him, he proceeded to tell us
>that our Dr. preferred Minimed products because they
>were much more reliable.  I told him we chose D
>because of the amount of time Jess spent in the water.
> He then proceeded to tell us that even though D says
>it is waterproof, we should NEVER take it in the water
>because they can short out and dump all 300 units of
>insulin into the body at once.  She should always
>disconnect first!

If this were true, I'm sure I let alone one of the other pumpers here would
have heard of this 300 unit bolus!  I've spoken to hundreds of D users who
frequent the water and have never encountered anything like this.

Personally i have never had good cooperation from MM reps.  Researching the
pump in 1997 and in 2000 both times, D was fast to get the info to me
answer questions even though I was buying second-hand!  MM seldom responded
to my requests for info at all!

I know most hav e had great service form both D and MM but there are bad
apples on every tree.  Being in sales myself; this MM guy you speak of
really does not know how to sell!  Bet his marrige is lousey as well.

Darrin Parker - Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 3 months thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends &
the http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/ mailing list.

of MDI!  (To date:  53% improvement in average bg's & 70% fewer hypos.
Pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  First post-pump HeA1C = 5.1  (N = 4.3 - 5.8).