Re: [IP] Preggers update and the continuing endo saga...

The thing that most concerns me is how much you will need an endo directly
after the baby is born.  From my past, of which I had two pregnancies, both
times directly after the boys were borne and for about two weeks afterwards
my blood sugar was a yo-yo.  Mostly too low.  It is my opinion, that a
stressed out pregnant woman has spent at least 8 months being meticulous with
recordkeeping, blood sugars, etc. and have seen their insulin doses increase
so much that it is psychologically hard to flip that switch to take less
insulin.  A good endo (or his staff) can greatly help you thru this time

For my first pregnancy I had two doctors, the first was my endo who has in
his office a wonderful RN, CDE who bridges the gap in his bedside manner.  He
is not a MR HYDE but he is too busy for small talk.  The other doctor was an
OB/GYN.  With this set up I had non-stress tests twice a week (on Monday and
Thursdays) and sonograms once a week (on Thursdays) for the last 8 weeks or
so.  The second non-stress test added to one part of the sonogram to be a
biophysical profile that tested the movements, etc. of the baby.  I was upset
when my OB/GYN was explaining these tests because of how much work I would
miss for these tests.  This was the only time that my doctor, nicely and
directly told me that if any of these tests were amiss, I would be admitted,
further evaluated and if it were determined that the baby or I were in crisis
they would then be prepared to deliver the baby (probably by c-section) and
then the pediatric critical care department would be able to take care of the
baby.  I was told this so I would not lax up and miss an appointment.  I then
asked him if I made a Thursday appointment and all was fine and missed a
Monday appointment (that should I have gone would have showed the beginning
of fetal distress) could the baby be dead by Thursday.  When he said in a
very calm voice, "Yes," I told him I would be at ALL appointments.  Eric was
born by C-section on Tuesday, April 17, 1990 and weighed 9lbs, 8.5 oz.  Yes,
I did go to the non-stress test on the day before which was a Monday.  The
doctor said that if he had been in distress he would have delivered him that

The second pregnancy was followed by an OB/GYN with a subspecialty in
diabetic pregnancies.  With this pregnancy I had far fewer sonograms.  This
doctor had me do fetal kick counts three times a day about the same time in
the pregnancy the other doctor had started the non-stress tests and
sonograms.  I do not remember how long I had to lay down or how many times
the baby had to move but I remember that three times a day I was to lie on my
left side, relax and pay attention to how often the baby made any movement.
Starting with the first feeling, I would then start the clock and count the
movements.  If he did not move often enough in a standard period of time I
was to get up move around a bit and about ten minutes later try it again.  I
never had to try the second time but I was instructed if he did not move
often enough I was to call his office and come in.  Kevin was born January
14, 1993 by c-section and weighed 10lbs 4 oz.

Oh by the way the women in my family historically have big babies, add it to
my diabetes and even in relatively good control, the babies were a bit big.
But both boys are intelligent and are very normal.  Basically at times they
drive me appropriately NUTS.  I was not hospitalized any additional time in
the hospital during the pregnancies (except for one additional day because of
the C-sections), they also came home with me when I came home from the
hospital, both nursed, and slimmed down by the time they were 9 months old.

I am done having babies (I soon will be 42) and I love them with all my
heart.  For me, the worst part of the pregnancies was the post partium
depression I experienced.  I attribute this as the stress let down I
experienced the incredible fear I had concerning the possibility that they
would die before they were borne.

Sherry, your fears are real, in this day and age, possible but not very
likely.  I just wish that your endo had a better way of telling you the risks
without scaring you.  Try to hang in there, you always have a good group of
people here to use as a sounding board.  I wish you lived closer to me, I
think you need a big, long, loving hug from a female friend who can really
understand.  I would give you a hug and let you cry, cry, and cry.

Love and hugs,

Cee Dee