Re: [IP] Disability Discrimination FAQ

I think the intent of the law was the way you stated it....  I think that
the courts have interpreted it slightly differently - If it's treatable
then not covered.

How many times have I heard something like I can lead a "normal" life
because I got a pump... The very fact that we tend to say that DM "isn't
that bad" helps the population think the problems are because we aren't
"taking care of ourselves"...

At 06:22 PM 3/5/01 -0500, you wrote:
>The way that I understood it when I was in school...the ADA of 1990 protects
>anyone with a 'disease' that effects ANY of life's major functions.
>We can not eat without having to take our medication.  Eating is one of
>'life's major and necessary functions.'  We qualify for protection under the
>ADA of 1990.
>Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD
>Cleveland, Ohio
>IDDM X 18 years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
>Remember...Diabetics are naturally sweet!
>e-mail:    email @ redacted

Jim S.
email @ redacted

"Diabetes is a disease of complications, waiting for them to happen".
         MTM to Barbara Walters....