[IP] Test Strip Coding

Strictly out of idle curiosity, does anyone know any details about the
protocol used for coding BG test strips.

Are the codes systematic (i.e.. a 3 is similar to a 4 which is  similar to a
5 ...) or are the numbers more unique (i.e.. all 3s are similar to all other
3s but they are not necessarily related a 2 or a 4)? How big an error are
you likely to generate by miscoding a strip (I guess I could test this but I
haven't)? Can you manually "correct" for miscoding?