[IP] Training dogs to detect lows

I forgot the post about the dog-eating yogurt that wakes the master during a
low, but I wanted to let you know how I trained my doglet to waken me when my
pump ran too long without attention. This was back in '83 when we ran one
basal rate. My pump (CPI/Lilly Betatron II #9200) had a feature that if you
didn't press any buttons for 10 hours, it would alarm because they didn't want
*all that insulin* running into you and you not pay attention to it. I would
purposely not touch it after 9:00 p.m.  My hugsband was working 3rd shift and
Tippy (Lhasa Apso/Cockapoo) slept with me.

When the pump alarmed, I took a half-piece of Milkbone from under my head and
let her see me get it, saying, "See snack!"  The first time, I reached it
across to her. Each event it alarmed I got closer to my head. Then I didn't
get it at all and she came up and nudged me to get it with the beeping. It
took about a week. I didn't keep treats under my pillow after the training,
but she got it as a reward.

This li'l doggie also woke up with me each 3:00 a.m. for my BG test the first
month when the alarm went off. After the month was over, I didn't need to do
that, nor an alarm. She knew it was time for me to get up to test anyway.
;-(   It was hard to break her of that one.

It's too bad as time went along I wasn't kept up with new information. Someone
else just wrote they had an A1c of 8.6 and quite disturbed. I was
congratulated for getting mine down to 8.2! Just since getting on the 'net
have I had the last 3-4 A1c's at 6.1-6.3. I still think perhaps my kidneys
would be better off if I was instructed how to maintain (even learn to
carb-count winsulin-carb ratios) a *normal* A1c.

http://maxpages.com/bludasue AND http://www.picturetrail.com/dmbashpics (now
with an album of the evolution of pumps)
Poor spellers of the world, untie!