[IP] Early meters

Elizabeth writes:
> << I lived through my whole childhood with diabetes and I can remeber how it
>  felt to have to monitor blood sugare levels as well as take injections at
>  school. >>
Jane Holzka responded:
> When did you start testing blood sugars and giving shots at school? I've
been diabetic 38 years (almost as long as your 39) and was still on one shot a
day and urine tests all through grammar school.  In high school I switched to
two shots and they started to have glycocylated hemoglobin tests. I didn't
test myself until I was in my 20s, and didn't own a glucometer until I got
pregnant at 30 (and was covered by my husband's insurance). >

This list has discussed a lot of old time stuff often and meters have come up.
Those first ones were monster boxes that had to be plugged in and kept warm
and washed and precisely timed, etc. I saw my first one in the '70s. I believe
they were not very portable and about $400-$500 each. I didn't start home BGs
until '82 to prepare me for 4 tests a day when I'd get a pump the next year.
It was for the attachment I have with my feet - and desire to keep them that
way - that I agreed to be a pump guinea pig. The neuropathy was so severe at
the time. I have had GREAT relief due to pumping. (~_^)  And as I have
reported before, I never was on MDI - just one shot a day for 31 years, then
two a day the following two yrs. The 26g steel needles were bad enough to
equal several shots though! YMMV  (~_^)

http://maxpages.com/bludasue AND http://www.picturetrail.com/dmbashpics (now
with an album of the evolution of pumps)
Poor spellers of the world, untie!