Re: [IP] My Horrible Doctor's Appointment Yesterday

In a message dated 3/2/01 11:14:23 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I see the ob today and if he can't tell me the new endo will see me, I may
> just not see an endo while I'm pregnant.  I will just go by the pumping
> insulin book, or whatever.  I'm not willing to go through this again.  I
> have enough fears without hearing a medical doctor tell me stories of other
> women who have
> lost babies. Is it wrong to expect your doctor to be supportive and
> comforting?  I didn't expect him to lie to me and say he was absolutely
> sure everything would go fine, but do doctors have to harp constantly on
> everything that could go wrong, as if they expect it to happen any day?  Is
> a comment like, "I
> assume you are still pregnant?" right after a patient has had a bleeding
> scare what doctors should say to try to put their patients at ease?
> I just want to go crawl off into a hole somewhere.

No, it is not too much to expect your dr to be supportive and comforting.
That man is beyond belief.
You can be honest about medical facts and be supportive and encouraging too.
I was so lucky with the peri I had while i was pg, I never got stories like
that at all.  (I talk about her because she did all my bg stuff for me while
I was pg, i wasn't on the pump at the time)
I hope your ob can get you into one of the other people.
I totally understand the avoiding conflict thing, I have often done the same
thing.  I don't see that this dr would have acted any different if you had
confronted him directly.
You are doing a great job taking care of yourself and your baby.
I know it's a lot of work but you are a good mom!  Don't let some jerky dr
take that away from you!

If any body is from the KC area and wants the name of a great wonderful
perinatologist just ask, she was amazing and caring and the best thing that
happened to me while i was in KC.

type 1 diagnosed 9-81
new pumper!!
started 8-21-2000