[IP] DIABETES FROM CHICKEN POX...I'M ONE OF THOSE :o)

In a message dated 3/1/01 11:40:33 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted
writes:

> . I had the chicken pox 6 months before
> and although no-one has confirmed it for me I know that the chicken pox
lead

>i was told i got diabetes from the chicken pox also, and this was back in
>1983!  they say the chicken pox virus resembles the islet cells or
something
>in the pancreas so closely that when the anitbodies fight off the virus it
>kills off the cells too, thus IDDM....... now maybe i explained it wrong,
but
>it sounds good to me :O)

I know that everyone has an opinion about this AND there are facts to
support them,
but when I was diagnosed in 1986 my doctor told me the same thing.  He said
that the
most likely cause for my DM was that my body attacked my islet cells when it
was
destroying the chick pox virus - I was diagnosed with IDDM two weeks after
contracting
chicken pox.

Maybe that is incorrect - maybe that was the prevalent thought during that
time, but
it WAS kind of nice to have been given a REASON for my disease(at age 12, I
had a hard
time accepting it).