RE: [IP] CHICKEN POX...How about Mumps!

Kathy Fagan [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> most common viral infections were mumps
> and rubella.
> Take it or leave it, but I'm convinced that the bad case of mumps was
> responsible for reduced immunity leading to both T1 diabetes
> and Hashimoto's
> thyroiditis.

No comment re: Hashimoto's disease.

But mumps has been implicated in DM only by clinical presentation and not
from any laboratory studies.  In fact, lab studies have consistently failed
to demonstrate any association between mumps and diabetes, even though mumps
can manifest as pancreatitis.  Subsequent clinical studies have also failed
to support the hypothetical association between mumps and DM.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted OR
mailto:email @ redacted