Marilyn <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I have read lots about the correlation between chicken pox and diabetes.
> fact, there's an article at the Childrenwithdiabetes website about it.
> can read it at http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0n_120.htm"
> children with DIABETES - Common Class of Viruses Implicated
> as Cause of Type 1

I just looked at this article - it's about coxsackievirus; no mention of
chicken pox (varicella) or shingles (Herpes zoster).

Coxsackieviruses are related to the poliovirus in that they are in the group
of viruses known as enteroviruses, meaning those which are ingested (in
epidemiological circles, this generally mean fecal contamination).  Some of
the conditions associated with coxsackieviruses are aseptic meningitis,
herpangina, epidemic myalgia*, hand, foot, and mouth disease, myocarditis,
pericarditis, pneumonia, rashes, and common colds.**

*Epidemic myalgia includes pleurodynia and Bornholm disease, and as I write
this, I wonder if it might be associated with fibromyalgia.

**Source: Joseph Melnick, 1989. Enteroviruses. IN _Viral Infections of
Humans, Third Edition_, Alfred Evans, Editor. New York and London, Plenum
Medical Book Company.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted OR
mailto:email @ redacted