email @ redacted writes:

> was told i got diabetes from the chicken pox also, and this was back in
> 1983!  they say the chicken pox virus resembles the islet cells or
> something
> in the pancreas so closely that when the anitbodies fight off the virus it
> kills off the cells too, thus IDDM....... now maybe i explained it wrong,
> but
> it sounds good to me :O)

I'm one of those people too, in 1981 they told me the chicken pox settled in
my pancreas and destroyed all the beta cells.
Wierd thing is my sil's niece had died the summer before because the chicken
pox settled in her heart and was so destructive.
So much for simple child hood diseases.
No one in my family has every had diabetes so I really doubt there was a
pre-disposition to it.
I've gotten my son innoculated for chicken pox, not taking any chances after
what happened to me.
type 1 diagnosed 9-81
new pumper!!
started 8-21-2000