Re: [IP] No complications?

> I have had no complications at all by the
>grace of God and am very healthy (run, exericse, lift weights everyday) my
>last HBA1C was .695. I have a question though: Is it possible to live with
>Type 1 for one's entire life (till they pass away) without any
>complications if one takes care of themselves (ie: manage sugars,
>exercise, low-fat intake etc) or will everyone eventually have
>complications no matter what?

This topic has been discussed several times on this list.  The DCCT shows
that taking generla good care of yourself and keeping tight bg control will
delay the onset of complications but will in no way prevent them.

Whether one gets complications depends more on genetics than on bg control.
Some do well and never get any major complications; others keep very tight
control and prefect A1C's and die of complications fairly young.

The one sure thing is that we can improve the odds if we keep tight control
or at least the best control that our bodies and life will allow us to!

Darrin Parker    Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 3 months thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends &
the http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/ mailing list.

of MDI!  (To date:  53% improvement in average bg's, 70% fewer hypos & a
decrease in standard deviation of test results of 70%)!