[IP] No complications?

I think we're the guinea pigs on that, with all our newer treatments.
When my dad was diagnosed 40 years ago, the treatment was 1 shot of NPH a
day and urine testing. He did what he was supposed to do and has always
followed the treatment as it progressed, still the diabetes has eaten at
him and he has many complications. He is happily pumping since October and
feeling better than he has in years.
I have been on insulin for 27 years. I, too, started on 1 shot of NPH a day
and urine testing. Nine years later, I began 2 shots a day and sometime in
there began mixing reg & nph and then I got my first blood kit and multiple
injections and humalog!  I am by no means a more "compliant" diabetic than
my dad. I've only been pumping since June. But I think the shorter time I
followed the "old" treatment methods is the reason I have very few
complications today.
Laser surgery was just beginning when he needed them, he (and others here)
paved the way for us. There weren't treatments for kidneys, there are now.
I am so grateful to the diabetics who have come before me who have tried
and tested and been brave and never said die...and taught us about
complications. We are so lucky to have diabetes now and not then!
Now it's our turn to blaze the trail! Let's be the diabetic generation to
have tight control, "be loud and proud and pump bumpy!" (Sara SP)  Let's
find out if we can successfully live with diabetes and die without
complications and be as valuable teachers to the next diabetic generation
as we had to get us to where we are. I hope we can be as classy as my dad's
generation. Lynn