Re: [IP] CHICKEN POX...How about Mumps!

I have never heard of the association between chicken pox and IDDM.  But
there is a proven association between mumps and diabetes.  From some reason
the mumps virus likes to hid in the islet cells of the pancreas...the immune
system then attacks the islet cells trying to kill the mumps virus, but in
the process of curing us, can make us sick for life!  This is what my
original endo told me about 10-12 years ago.

I was in 6th grade when I was diagnosed...I was dx'd on November 18, 1982,
(but whose keeping track?) and in the spring of 1982, mumps went around
school (I was in 5th grade then.)  I never got mumps, but boy do I have
diabetes.  I would have rather have had mumps!  I bet a lot of us would have!

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 18 years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
e-mail:    email @ redacted