Jennifer [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> My chicken pox came from my niece who was living with us at
> the time.  I
> never went to pre-school and was never exposed to them. So, I
> am in total
> agreement with vaccinating ones children.
> I am glad to know that I was not totally off on my thinking
> that the chicken
> pox was the culprit.

As far as a quick literature search can show, there is no association
between Varicella (or Herpes zoster (shingles) - same virus) and incidence
of type 1 DM.  There *may* be a statistical association between
Coxsackievirus and DM - research is ongoing.  The occasional coincidence
between getting chicken pox and developing DM is just that - a coincidence,
something that is probably random chance.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted OR
mailto:email @ redacted

the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the United States Public
Health Service or any other agency of the United States government.