Re: [IP] new on pump, need help re; coffee

Barbara Fraker <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Hi!!! i HAVE BEEN PUMPING FOR 8 DAYS AND HAVING TROUBLE WITH HIGH BGS.
> I SAW MY PUMP TECH YESTERDAY AND HE THOUGHT MAYBE I HAD GOTTEN SOME BAD
> INSULIN....SO I HAVE FILLED MY RESERVOIR WITH NEW INSULIN AND SEEM TO
> STILL BE HAVING A PROBLEM....TODAY I THOUGHT, COULD IT BE THE LARGE
> AMOUNTS OF COFFEE I DRINK!!!!!????? ANY FEEDBACK REGARDING THIS WOULD
> REALLY HELP ME OUT.

First, don't confuse the coffee and insulin -- make sure you know which goes where.  If the reservoir looks dark . . . 8-)

More seriously, I've not heard of any connection between coffee and blood glucose levels, but that doesn't prove anything.  If you're concerned, you might try switching to decaf.  Since you changed insulin, though, it would seem to reduce the likelihood that it is a bad batch of insulin.  OTOH . . . did you purchase your insulin at the same time?  Do you know how it was stored before you got it?  I think it might be worth a call to your pump trainer and/or diabetes educator and/or endo.

On a different matter, Barbara, regarding a little netiquette: typing in all capital letters denotes shouting in emails and new groups.  Also it's harder to read than if you use upper and lower case letters.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted

The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my wife who runs this house and makes more important decisions than I do.