[IP] hyper thyroid

Linda wrote:
>  My 27-yr-old daughter called this evening to report that her
> doctor has found she has an overactive thyroid

I also had over active thyroid, also known as Grave's Disease.  The most
famous person with this was Barbara Bush.  Some of the symptoms are very
similar to hypo thyroid...but they are definitely different.  Graves also can
make your eyes bug out a little and your heart pounds really fast...You
always feel like you have a thumper machine going (if you watched the movie
DUNE).  Baasically, your body is in hyper drive and your metabolism is going
a mile a minute which is why you tend to lose weight, and this can all be
dangerous for a variety of reasons...and hard on the heart.

In my case, they thought i had hypo at first, since I had developed a goiter,
and my mom and sister had it, but after a month on synthroid, they realized
they were wrong (duh...didn't they have thyroid panel blood tests in 1981???)

ANYWAY, it is very treatable.  I took a medicine called propathyrouricil for
about a year.  I was told that if the drug did not work, alternate treatments
were removial of the thyroid and radio active iodine...at which point I would
take synthroid for the rest of my life. Thankfully it went into remission on
its own, and has never come back.

I was diagnosed at age 17, when I was probably in some of the worst diabetic
control of my life.  I had always been an A student, despite the affects and
effects of out of control diabetes...but when i got Graves Disease, i was
told by the docs at the barbara davis diabetes center that I was very likely
to drop out or fail in school due to the "ravages of this disease," that I
was going to be very prone to infection,  would lose weight (though this
seemed like a bonus to me)...They told me I should not be allowed to spend my
summer after graduation in Europe as I could get very sick.

My mom walked out of there, right behind me...

we found other, better, smarter, more in tune with reality doctors who said
that yes all that was "possible" if the graves was left untreated, but that
there was no reason not to think that I would succeed in college and that I
could go to europe and we would start treatment in the fall...

I went to Europe...started the drug, AND college in the fall.  I got my first
ever C my senior year in high school and I wonder now if that was more
related to being TOLD I WOULD fail or if the disease really did have the
affect of making it difficult to concentrate.  Believe it or not...it was a
writing course....

So Linda, make sure they are doing a thyroid panel on your daughter...don't
just base it on the fact that endocrine problems run in your family.  I am
fairly sure that Grave's is as directly linked to diabetes as hypo, but maybe
not...it all comes from the same gland, so who knows.

It is treatable...so don't worry!