[IP] Re: Smoking to Wendy

Wendy wrote:

I need to quit. It's so difficult, have any of you quit? Can anyone give me
some advice? Please don't yell at me either, I have heard it all.

Sally responds:

Hi Wendy, I'm a little behind in my digests.  Just read your post.  I smoked
for about 15 years . . . about a pack a day.  Had my LAST one the first week
of February 2000 . . . don't know the exact date. WOO HOOO I feel so much
better.  Got to tell you, it was one of the hardest things I ever did in my
life -- but it was the BEST thing I ever did, (besides starting to pump
insulin). I too was getting the lectures from my doctors and my friends.
Like everyone else said -- you have to want to do it for YOURSELF, not
because "the doc said" -  I had to prepare myself mentally - like "I am going
to feel great when I kick it" and not -- "I'm NEVER going to have another
smoke in my life, sniff sniff" -- PLUS the fact that my friend told me I
wouldn't be able to do it.  I believe her comment was/is the biggest factor
in my quitting.  (I'll show HER!)
It is still tough at times, especially when I get stressed at work.  All I do
is take a DEEP breath and REALLY concentrate on that breath.  I wasn't able
to do that a few months ago.  That is a wonderful feeling too in knowing that
I finally DID IT!!!! (QUIT) It DOES feel great. . . I thought I would miss it
terribly - - and at first I did, but each day gets a little easier.
Hope that helps some . . . write if you want.

Sally =o)
IDDM for 35 of my 37 years
Assimilated : 7 December 1999