Re: [IP] RE: re-using stuff

In a message dated 3/30/00 12:40:43 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< From: "RoseLea" <email @ redacted>
 Subject: : Re: [IP] Reusing Lancets
 While I've wondered about this practice as well, and I have re-used lancets
 in a pinch, I wonder why anyone with insurance would even want to? <snip
 Because when insurance companies have to pay a lot, WE end up paying  more
 for insurance.   If we can keep some of the cost of insurance down, it will
 help overall keep rates down.   WE, the insured, have a certain
 responsibility in this insurance deal, like using generics when you can,
 and not asking for the doctor to give us a prescription needlessly, etc.  >>

There's another aspect of insurance: Lifetime caps. As in, "if you go over X
amount of payouts in your lifetime, you will not get any more coverage." I
think my lifetime cap is $1 million, which isn't a lot any more, particularly
if you run into complications. Paying attention to my lifetime cap is one
reason I order my supplies from MM (which isn't a preferred provider) instead
of the company that is a preferred provider. It costs me about $60 more per
order, but if I didn't, the additional $700 the preferred provider would
charge my company would be coming out of my lifetime cap.

Jan (and Elvis)