[IP] diagnosis of thyroid disease

My 27-yr-old daughter called this evening (she lives in Ottawa, Canada) to
report that her doctor has found she has an overactive thyroid and asked if
auto-immune disease runs in her family (I am the type 1 diabetic, and my
sister was deaf from Cogan's Syndrome).  What concerns me is that her
symptoms seem more like hypothyroidism:  tiredness, cold hands and feet,
maybe some of the stomach problems? - though she says she has been eating a
lot and not gaining weight.  Since so many of you seem to be on synthroid,
and some have talked of having started as hyperthyroid, I wondered if you had
any comments to help us better evaluate this.

Linda Z