[IP] Creatinine Clearance test

I've been IDDM for over 12 years, and pumping for 2 months. I've always
practiced tight control or at least attempted to (never had an A1c above 7).
My new endo. recently had me perform a 24 hr. urine and the results showed
that my "creatinine clearance" was depressed, 85, with a normal range being
97-137. All other aspects of the analysis were within the normal ranges.
Other than this finding my health is considered excellent.  My endo. wants
to start me on ACE inhibitors to slow, stop, or even reverse these "early
stages of renal disease." I'm quite concerned about the side effects of this
class of drugs. Does anyone have any info. or experiences they could share
with me?