It definitely takes a while for kids to get used to the infusion part of it.
Have you tried the Siloette?  My 13 year old daughter has a strong preference
for this type.  The "gun" to insert the Sofset was often quite painful, and
the Sofset itself was often uncomfortable or even painful.  I forget how old
your child is, but have you considered bribing him?  Children often don't
understand the concept of "it takes getting used to" and often respond to
more concrete rewards like money, toys or other treats.  For example, my
daughter usually makes some money for an A1C under 7.0.  My husband and I
don't mind paying for compliance because we consider it work on our
daughter's part, and we want to instill good habits now while she is young.
As everyone else on this list has told me when I sent out my SOS which I
believe you might have responded to ("ready to quit the pump - help"), HANG
IN THERE!  It IS miserable for the first few months, then it goes away.  I
feel for you; being in the early stages and all.  It will get better.  Keep
in touch.