[IP] doctor visit today

Lori wrote:
>  endo asked me if I was following my diet.

LOL...I had been on the pump a month and I went in to see the quack who put
me on it...his first question was, "what bolus do you take for lunch?"  I
looked at him, waiting for the rest of the question...he was like, "well?"
and I said, "it depends on WHAT I eat!"  He EXPECTED me to say that my
standard lunch bolus was X units, because I was eating the SAME thing, the
ADA prescribed DIE-et that I had been given.  I laughed and said, "i take 1
unit of insulin for every 15 grams of cho, and sometimes I didn't eat lunch
at all..."   He asked...."uh, what do you take for a bagel?"  I said,
"depends on the weightand if there is raisins in it"  I almost felt bad for
him...trying to wrest control from me and failing miserably

> I kind of fibbed and said yes,

It ain't a fib.  He asked if you were following YOUR diet...and you sure
are...YOUR diet, YOUR choices, YOUR responsibility...though I want to know
how you could get through girl scout cookies with no bolus...but hey, strange
things like that happen to me every once in a while too.

>  Why should I have to follow a diet?

like you say, if you want to lose weight, then yes, you ought to watch what
you eat a little more carefully, but it sounds to me like he wants the
control.  He wants to be able to pinpoint why the pump may not be working for
you...He can say, "oh you are not following your diet...LIKE I TOLD

>  but isn't that most of the purpose of the pump, to NOT have
> to follow that darn ADA diet?

YES YES YES...though, I still occasionally refer back to some of that stuff
so I know how much of something i don't eat often is a "regular" bread
exchange, which have  15 grams of cho, which makes it easy for lazy me to
figure my bolus...I certainly don't go by: 1 meat, 1 milk, 1 fat, 1 fruit and
2 bread exchanges anymore!

>   He said I could request a diabetic menu on the plane

you COULD, but why would you want to?  although I have to say, when you DO
order a special request meal, it is usually BETTER than the other ones...it
has been prepared "special" - not mass produced like the 4,789 other chicken
calzones that everyone else is getting, and sometimes the lo-sodium ones are
pretty good....but then, sometimes the food isn't that bad...do what YOU
want, not what the doctor says (in my humble opinion as one who thinks
doctors like yours are control freaks).  Eyeball your tray, same as you would
at a friends house for dinner...make a guess and bolus. you are going to be
testing regularly ANYWAY (right) and if you over or under estimate, you CAN
fix it!!! Is he going to recommend you NOT have a pina colada or a mai tai
once you land in tahiti???

>  I didn't have the nerve this time to tell him that I don't
> really follow a diet so to speak, I know what I can and cannot
>  eat, and I am careful with it all.

that last part...I know what I can and cannot eat and I am careful with it
all, sums it up.  If you don't feel comfortable telling him that,don't...but
why not.  he will attribute your improved numbers to you following  his
orders....pfffffttt...put a pin in his swelled, control freak head...tell him
YOU do the math and YOU do the eating and YOU make the choices....

have an awesome trip!!!