[IP] Re: Niggling

Recently Charisma noted:

> Probably 6 minutes from start to finish, while consulting
> the book and getting myself THOROUGHLY wet with saline--sound about right
> for a newbie?

Seems a bit much. Many of us started with regular syringes, which is
somewhat easier, but you really shouldn't be getting any fluid out of the
vial that doesn't go through the needle and into the reservoir. Certainly
you shouldn't be getting wet. You might have someone check this.

> ...But he has missed a certain amount of blous there--Even having the
> cartridge filled will not save at least a five to 10 minute interuption.

Well, this isn't really all that much. It depends on what your basal is at
the time (and on which pump you're using), but you may not be getting _any_
insulin at all during that time anyway, even if you were connected up. I run
a 0.2 u/hr rate most of the day, and that means my MiniMed 507 gives me a
squirt of 0.1 unit every half hour, with nothing in between. If I time
things right, I can disconnect, undress, take a shower, get in my PJs, and
reconnect, with fifteen minutes to spare, and not miss a beat.

Sometimes when I'm inserting a new set, I'll miss one basal beat (I'm still
pretty slow at the process: I can't _believe_ these folks who claim they can
do the whole thing in four minutes!). But I know the basal injections come
on the hour and the half-hour for me, so if I know it happened (usually I
can hear the click, of course), I'll just prime an extra 0.1 unit when I'm
done (in addition to the normal 0.5 it takes to fill the cannula). No big

> ...if I leave the old site in for two hours as folks suggest, won't he be
> getting TWICE the amount of bolus as
> ...well, there is no pump pushing the old insulin line in,but wouldn't it
> still be sorta vacuuming into the site?

Oh, I don't think so. I think it must take some pressure to push the insulin
under the skin. Otherwise, whenever I disconnect temporarily, I'd get a
little insulin from the remaining tubing going in. Then, when I connected
back up a little later, I'd have an air bubble in the tubing.

OTOH, that might explain a lot... No, I don't mean that! But I don't see how
you can get insulin injected without the pump doing its push.

Good luck Tuesday, and best wishes!

--Keith Johnson