[IP] Re: Healthy Eating

I think a lot of it has to do with how you were raised.  My mom always fed
us healthy foods.  We still had McDonalds occassionally, but our more
typical foods were healthier choices.  Except if my parents were having a
party, we would have pretzels not chips.   Even then we always have a
vegetable tray (LOL Mom was going to skip it for a birthday party of mine
when I was about 5, and I inisited we needed "good" food).  For a very long
time, my absolute favorite snack (well, if I was offered ice cream or cake
for a snack I would have chosen that, but that was never an option... those
were desserts, and if I did have them in the middle of the day, it would
only be after a different snack) was frozen vegtables still frozen,
especially green beans and lima beans.  The rest of my siblings are more or
less the same way (only my one brother does not like vegtables, but he
still likes many healthy choices).  My youngest brother's favorite food is
brocolli (uncooked, and lately with BBQ sauce to dip it in).  It always has
been since he started table food.  One day, Mom was shopping and she passed
it in the produce.  He asked to get some (he was in the age 2-3 area), and
she told him that she had some at home, so she wasn't going to buy any.  He
started screaming at the top of his lungs that he wanted to get brocolli.
Mom tried several more times to explain that we had enough at home.  He
didn't listen and she just ignored him.  An older woman came up to my mom
and yelled at her for not buying healthy food for her son.  My mom said "we
have some at home and my son is currently just being a brat" and continued
on her way with my brother still screaming how mean she was for not getting
him brocolli.  LOL, my mom is very proud of the fact that her children will
throw fits in grocery stores not because she won't buy candy/junk food, but
she won't buy vegetables!  In all honesty, I can't think of eating any
other way.  On the other hand, my roommate grew up eating chips and a lot
of "junk" food.  She usually eats that, and I eat my stuff.  Our tastes in
food are very different... and I think that has a lot to do with it.

To be who you are and become what you are capable of is the only goal worth
living.  -Alvin Ailey