Re: Re[IP] Am I reading this right?

In a message dated 3/26/00 8:09:15 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< And they are claiming that this insulin resistance
 in Type 1's can also lead to heart problems same as with Type 2s.  I really
 don't think I have any insulin resistance, I just don't have any at all
 unless I take it in an injection. >>

Just because a person is type 1 (does not make endogenous insulin) does not
mean they cannot be resistant to insulin. Insulin resistance means that
insulin is having trouble getting into the cells. If you think of insulin as
a key and a cell receptor as a lock -- there are plenty of "keys" present
(whether naturally or injected), but the "locks" are broken.

That's not to say that you, personally, are insulin resistant. What the
article says is that some type 1s are insulin resistant and they want to find
out if they, too, are more prone to heart disease, just as insulin-resistant
type 2s are.

The underlying cause of your confusion, I believe, is that the release was
run on the ADA Website, but came from PRNewsline, which does not necessarily
understand diabetes and the difference between type 1 and type 2. In the
process, the message got kind of bungled up. IMO, the ADA should have cleaned
it up, but it did not.

The answer to your question is that you can be type 1 *and* be insulin
resistant. In the case of a type 1, however, the cells are resistant to the
injected insulin rather than insulin made by the beta cells.

Jan (and Elvis)