Re: [[IP] type II follow up for BBRAD]

email @ redacted wrote:
> Barbara,
> you had written, in response to another question:
>
> >     In Type 2, the pancreas may initially produce more insulin to
> compensate
> > for defective insulin, or to overcome the cellular resistance to insulin
> the
> > pancrease is producing.
>
> So, theoretically, a person developing Type II could be having hypos at the
> beginning rather than hypers?

That isn't really what she said. If the Type 2s pancreas makes defective
insulin which can't be used efficiently, then more will need to be made to
make up the difference. If it's only 80% as effective as it used to be then
20% more will have to be released for the same effect.

But also, Type 2 may well be preceded by chronic hypoglycemia. What appears to
happen is that the pancreas somehow loses the ability to responds immediately
to a rising bg (aka Phase 1 response) so it takes a while longer to release
the insulin to bring it down. Since it's gone so much higher in the meantime
the pancreas sends more insulin than is actually needed, resulting in a low
bg, rather much like having too much long acting insulin hanging around after
a meal: we go low.

> I have had some serious lows myself lately nad am suspecting I am goping
the
> way of the family history (Type II except my son Paddy who is Type I) but
> the doc was not thinking that possible since I am having all lows, and only
> two slightly elevated fasting bg(145, 130)  She ordered and A1C but I
> suspect it will be "goos" since I have had so many lows.

I think she's wrong. This is a fairly common pattern for developing Type 2,
and should be no mystery to an endo (or isn't she an endo?) Unfortunately many
doctors of all kinds, sometimes including endos, don't seem to understand this
pattern.

You may want top check the hypoglcemia webpages that follow. They know more
about it and may be able to help you get the doctor to understand.

http://www.fred.net/slowup/hypo.html

http://huizen.dds.nl/~hypo/

Ted Quick
email @ redacted