Re: [[IP] Seizures or Not?]

email @ redacted wrote:
> But my ? is - seizures - just how can I tell he is having them with HIGH
> (over 200) the worse it gets
> Or could you have them with highs? - Endo said no - but endo doesnt know my

> child like I do!
> He acts drunk, glassy eyes, falls down, doesnt repsond to me or anyone,
> things, can't hold anything, slurred speech, hand and feet are numb.
> To me this sounds like something is going on in his head - with HIGH bgs and

> not low bgs.

> Also, he did wake up Sat morning at 7am - thinking he was was low - I
> him he was 92 - but all the low signs were there, sick to tummy, hungry,
> headache, weak, pale. and most of all felt low and calling me. This was a
> first!  - My guess it was a rebound for a low low.  -
> He has woke up a couple of times in the -65 -69 range with headache only

This sounds like he is suffering from pseudo-hypos caused by a rapid drop in
bg. The body really understands rate of change in bg more than actual bg
level. If he was waking up late Saturday morning and his morning basal rate
was too much for the CURRENT need at that point it may have driven his bg down
too fast, resulting in feeling like he had a hypo when he didn't. I think this
is more prevalent in children than in adults.

Treatment is to NOT treat for a hypo, just wait till his body settles down. If
you do treat it as a hypo then he will go real high afterwards sinc he really
didn't need the extra added glucose.

Also note that when he IS going to hypo levels and doesn't feel the strong
symptoms it's likely that he was dropping slowly, and you DO need to treat for
a hypo.

There, was that confusing enough? <Grin>

Ted Quick