Re: [IP] Time for a Continuous Blood Glucose Monitor?

----- Original Message -----
From: <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2000 8:03 PM
Subject: [IP] Time for a Continuous Blood Glucose Monitor?

> Howdy folks,
> I have a question for anyone who knows about the Minimed Continuous Blood
> Glucose Monitor (CBGM).  Would it help us to figure out if my basal rates
> were set appropriately and maybe how to take my bolus doses of Humalog?  I
> so tired of being on a rollercoaster and am hoping for someone to tell me
> that this would shed some light onto my basals and my boluses.
> My thing is, if you follow Michael's explanation of how to do a Basal
> (off the Pumpers web site) he says you start on a day that follows a
> day".  Trouble is, I HARDLY EVER have a vanilla day per the definition
>  I can look over months of my blood test and carb counting records and I
> maybe (if I stretch the blood glucose ranges) have three vanilla days in a
> month.  I am (as suggested by my RN/CDE) doing things like splitting the
> bolus doses into DUAL doses.  Depending upon what my beginning blood sugar
> I take anywhere from 20% to 60% of my bolus dose immediately and the
> remainder as a square wave bolus over 30 minutes.  This is for normal
> than 25 gr. of fat) meals.  If it happens to be for pizza or some other
> fat meal, I will take even a little more insulin (usually 1.6 units over 4
> hours).  This seems to be helping but not as much as I would hope.
> I have gotten to the point that I don't care what kind of elaborate
> calculations I need to make to my insulin, food, and/or activity so long
as I
> see some results.  To me the UPs and DOWNs are emotionally and physically
> draining.  Oh by the way, my HbA1c has gone from 9.0 in March 99 to 6.6 in
> Feb 2000.
> Thanks for the comments, suggestions, and help.  It is greatly
> Carole H (there are now 2 Carole's with an "e".)
I used the CGM and it takes a reading every 5 minutes, averages it out and
prints a graph on the Dr.'s computer. It will show, if you program in Bolus,
food exercise, etc., and keep a good list of exactly what you ate, how you
react to all of these.

In my case it was discovered that I needed to Bolus after eating rather than
before eating. Apparently I react to H faster than to food.

If you have a good CDE or Pump trainer to interpret it, it should help