Re: [IP] To parents...fear

Robin on 3/23/00 wrote:

>...Actually, there have been a FEW nights
> that we check him at 11 or 12 midnight and believe that he is in a "good
> enough" range for us to sleep all night. Mark and I have both uttered the
> same fear of finding him "gone" in bed some morning though....scarey. We
> hold our breath first thing when one or the other goes to wake him for
> school. It is a shame it has to be that way, and I feel we are making
> in the right direction with this pump...but it is not perfect...

I have this fear every night and morning and before I'm called a controlling
here is my story. I have been on both sides of this, worrying about a parent
with diabetes, and a child with diabetes. I also have a sister with type 1.
I had the same fears about my mom, for my sister, and for my child.

My mom had type 2 diabetes and lived alone and would go low in the
middle of the night. I know this because when she would stay with us, I
would wake up in the middle of the night, to find her making herself
something to eat. Some times I would find her cooking on the stove, this is
the part that would scare me, being low and cooking on stove. One time I
heard her calling my name (3 a.m.) and I went into the kitchen and found her
hanging on to the open refrigerator door with the stove on,( with an open
with no pan on the stove.

 Because she was high in the mornings her doctor
had her adjust her insulin, she was on MDI (more insulin at bedtime), this
would caused her to go
lower in the middle of the night, until she went so low that she die in
her sleep. I don't want to scare parents out there, but this is why when Eve
was on MDI, we would check her every night at 3 a.m. Now that she is on the
pump, we still check her at 11 p.m. and some times later at night.

I still get a funny feeling in the morning before I walk in her room. I know
I have to come to terms with this, but right now I can't.

I'm sorry if I upset anyone by my story, I didn't mean to, some times
parents have a reason to worry.

Deborah mom to Eve 12.5
Dxed 5/3/96 pumping 5/21/99