[IP] Shouldn't nurses have more sense?

Cheryl, aka Mouse wrote:
> <snip> The
> first thing the nurses brought me to eat ((after tooth extractions))
> was a peanut butter sandwich, well
> that wouldn't work, so the second thing they expected me to eat was a
> sandwich!  Finally, my Mom got peeved and made them bring me something
> liquid, soup or something like that, but you would think they'd have a
> little more sense!  But anyway, I came out of it ok in the end!

You really would expect more sense! When my hugsband had his
tonsils out at age 55, dr. kept him over night in hosp. due to his age. He
was instructed to have NO dairy products for THREE days, and ONLY cold
liquids.  I went to pick him up the next a.m. and he was in the bathroom
getting dressed. I looked at his stand with a tray on it. On closer
examination I saw a bowl with residue in the bottom. I asked the nurse what
had been in there? She said OATMEAL!  Then I saw the unfinished 1/2 cup of
coffee!!!!!  I *said*, "WHY is he having this????"  She said it was his
SECOND breakfast because he was so hungry!  Aren't doctors' orders followed?
Aren't they familiar with tonsilectomies?  Sorry for any nurses I may have
offended.  I'm also in the process of teaching another nurse who is a
40+year DMer with kidney disease how her diuretic affects her.  I had only
one semester (2 whole classes) in college, 11 years ago.  What do they learn
spending all that time in college? (Sorry, again if I have offended.)
Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)