In a message dated 3/24/00 8:52:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< How God Selects The Mother Of A Child With Diabetes
 by:  Erma Bombeck
 Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice,
 a few by social pressures and a couple by habit.  Did
 you ever wonder how mothers of children with Diabetes
 are chosen?  Somehow I visualize God hovering over
 Earth selecting his instruments for propagation with
 great care and deliberation.  As he observes, he
 instructs his angels to make notes in a giant ledger.
 "Armstrong, Beth, son.  Patron Saint Matthew."
 "Forrest, Marjorie, daughter.  Patron Saint Cecilia."
 "Rutledge, Carrie, twins.  Patron Saint Gerard.  He's
 used to profanity."
 Finally, he passes a name to an angel and smiles,
 "Give her a child with diabetes."  The angel is
 curious.  "Why this one, God?  She's so happy."
 "Exactly", smiles God. "Could I give a child with
 diabetes to a mother who does not know laughter?  That
 would be cruel."
 "But has she the patience?"  asks the angel.
 "I don't want her to have too much patience, or she
 will drown in a sea of self-pity and despair.  Once
 the shock and resentment wear off, she'll handle it.
 I watched her today.  She has that feeling of self and
 independence that is so rare and so necessary in a
 mother.  You see, the child I am going to give her has
 her own world.  She has to make it live in her world
 and that's not going to be easy."
 "But, Lord, I don't think she even believes in you."
 God smiles, "No matter.  I can fix that.  This one is
 perfect.  She has just enough selfishness."
 The angel gasps.  "Selfishness?  Is  that a virtue?"
 God nods.  "If she cannot separate herself from the
 child occasionally, she will never survive.  Yes, this
 is a woman whom I will bless with less than perfect."
 "She does not realize it yet, but she is to be envied.
  I will permit her to see clearly the things I see . .
 . ignorance, cruelty, prejudice . . . and allow her to
 rise above them.   She will never be alone.  I will be
 at her side every minute of every day of her life
 because she is doing my work as surely as if she is
 here by my side."
 "And what about her Patron Saint?"  asks the angel,
 his pen poised in mid air.  God smiles.  "A mirror
 will suffice."
With all the talk about Parents of Diabetics in the last few weeks I must
tell you My mother fit Frma Bombeck's poem to a tee. Mom died 3/6/00. She was
one of the first as my brother was dx 35 an I in 47. We had OJ + sugar on a
table in my bedroom and Mom would feel my forehead to see if I was sweating
or low at 3am.God Bless you MOM Roger C dx47