[IP] a poem for mothers of children with diabetes

ran across this poem on childrenwithdiabetes and
thought I'd share . . .

How God Selects The Mother Of A Child With Diabetes
by:  Erma Bombeck

Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice,
a few by social pressures and a couple by habit.  Did
you ever wonder how mothers of children with Diabetes
are chosen?  Somehow I visualize God hovering over
Earth selecting his instruments for propagation with
great care and deliberation.  As he observes, he
instructs his angels to make notes in a giant ledger.

"Armstrong, Beth, son.  Patron Saint Matthew."
"Forrest, Marjorie, daughter.  Patron Saint Cecilia."
"Rutledge, Carrie, twins.  Patron Saint Gerard.  He's
used to profanity."
Finally, he passes a name to an angel and smiles,
"Give her a child with diabetes."  The angel is
curious.  "Why this one, God?  She's so happy."
"Exactly", smiles God. "Could I give a child with
diabetes to a mother who does not know laughter?  That
would be cruel."
"But has she the patience?"  asks the angel.
"I don't want her to have too much patience, or she
will drown in a sea of self-pity and despair.  Once
the shock and resentment wear off, she'll handle it.
I watched her today.  She has that feeling of self and
independence that is so rare and so necessary in a
mother.  You see, the child I am going to give her has
her own world.  She has to make it live in her world
and that's not going to be easy."
"But, Lord, I don't think she even believes in you."
God smiles, "No matter.  I can fix that.  This one is
perfect.  She has just enough selfishness."
The angel gasps.  "Selfishness?  Is  that a virtue?"
God nods.  "If she cannot separate herself from the
child occasionally, she will never survive.  Yes, this
is a woman whom I will bless with less than perfect."
"She does not realize it yet, but she is to be envied.
 I will permit her to see clearly the things I see . .
. ignorance, cruelty, prejudice . . . and allow her to
rise above them.   She will never be alone.  I will be
at her side every minute of every day of her life
because she is doing my work as surely as if she is
here by my side."

"And what about her Patron Saint?"  asks the angel,
his pen poised in mid air.  God smiles.  "A mirror
will suffice."

Do You Yahoo!?