[IP] Re: Battery warnings

Recently Robin ruefully remarked (how's that for alliteration?):
> I would LOVE it if the batteries gave a "low bat" warning in the daytime
> hours.

Something I've been wishing for for a while: wouldn't it be nice if the
pumps provided a battery gauge, as some BG meters do? But (speaking as a
former physics major) I recently figured out that this wouldn't be easy with
the type of batteries used in a pump. The voltage of the common old
lead-acid batteries (such as are used in my AccuChek Complete) slowly
declines with time, so you can read their remaining life with a voltmeter
(if you know what you're doing, which I don't). But the (now, what kind are
they? better brew another cup of coffee) nickel/something (cadmium?
kryptonite?) batteries in a pump (and in the older AccuCheks) keep a fairly
constant voltage for most of their life, then suddenly drop precipitously at
the end, so it's hard to measure how much life they have left until the
answer's almost "zero!"

Just in case anyone was wondering why the pumps don't provide this info (and
with my luck, I'll find out that the newer ones do). And perhaps a tip for
those of us who try to squeeze every last amp-hour out of our pump
batteries: when they start to go, they can go fast! Be careful!

--Keith Johnson
  email @ redacted

P.S. Sorry about all the parentheses (I'm addicted to asides [but you can
always skip that stuff {though I realize they can <sometimes> be
distracting} <let's see: did I come out even this time?> {yeah, I think