[IP] responce to: To PARENTS--a LONG post about fear

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 email @ redacted wrote:

> Are any of you ever so tired, just so completely emotionally and physically
>drained that you are AFRAID to go look and see if your child is still alive?

As a diabetic since the age of two who went through childhood without the
wonderful gagets and toys we all use and love today (glucose testing, multiple
shot therapy or PUMPS) I can tell you some of my own feelings (and my parents

My mom could not handle the diabetes at all.  My dad had to come home from
work to give me shots (I was extraordinarily fortunate that I began at two
years old on three shots a day).  My mom didn't drive so she got 'out' of
taking me to the doctor (never went with dad and I) and I never discussed
anything about diabetes with her.

When I became blind from retinopathy my mom was oblivious to it: one day when
I needed to get to the doctor for initial pump training she gave me her car

(Yes, I was almost certainly the first blind pumper.  But I got my vision back
completely thank G-d, despite the opthamologists predictions).

When I myself became blind I stayed in bed for the first week.  (I was in
college at the time).  I went into the hallways and used my hands to feel for
the bathroom because I didn't want to ask for help.  One of my roomates was a
pre-med and he filled syringes and 'shot' me.

It took my dad coming to the college to shake me out of it.  (He told me to
either jump off a bridge and end my life quickly and painlessly OR get my act
together and start living.  This began my road to recovery).

I think diabetes is a horrible thing to have to deal with 24*7.  Even in the
best of times, when everything is going 'perfectly' it is still a constant
thought and concern.

For you to have feelings like you do is nothing to worry about.  Just keep
loving your kid, taking care of him and teaching him.  And DONT FORGET to take
care of yourself during the process.

Yerachmiel Altman
Looking forward to 20 years on the pump
(assimilated before assimilation was a popular term: June '80)

For the other few long term members in the group: do I get a year off for good
behavoir then??  How about 15 minutes?

 This message sent to you from the desk of
  Yerachmiel Bruchya haLevi Altman's computer.