[IP] FW: very high altitudes

I still can't post from my work address, so I have to wait till I get home
at night to throw my 2 cents in the heap.  Please see below.

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2000 12:15 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: very high altitudes

If there was air in the cartridge then it would have expanded, increasing
pressure inside the cartridge.  If there were a way out of the cartridge the
insulin would have found it.  Air may have also come out of solution to form
bubbles in the cartridge or you could have started out with them.

In any case, one should check for bubbles before one drastically changes
altitude.  Any bubble will expand at the lower pressures and push insulin
and maybe into you.

The insulin itself will not change volume of any concern.

You may have just had a loose tube connection.  That will cause a leak even
without elevation changes.

A trip from sea level to 6000 ft will produce a volume change of about 36
percent of air.  That is assuming about 11 psi at 6000 ft and 15 psi at sea
level.  So if you had bubbles in your tubing and/or cartridge the had a
of 10 units to start with, then you get 3.6U without knowing it.  That is
you happened to have a fortuitous leak.

Curtis Lomax