Re: [IP] Diabetic Shoes

On 21 Mar 00, at 5:51, James Handsfield wrote:

> Ted Quick <email @ redacted> wrote:
> "I believe that if an insurance company say they will pay for something,
> then pays for it, they can NOT ask for the money back.

They can IF you have signed a "Reservation of Rights" letter.

> I doubt very much that these two situations are the same.  The insurance
> business is the largest unregulated industry in the United States (I want
> to say the world, but I'm not sure of that).

> Now whether asking for money back is a *moral* thing to do is another
> matter.  I'm leaning toward the advice to let the insurance company and
> the shoe manufacturer fight it out, but that might not be fair to the
> manufacturer (I'm not especially worried about fairness to the insurance
> company).  It might be time to go higher in the insurance company and
> demand to know, in writing, why they have changed their mind on paying the
> claim.

Never mind the morality of it, look at the legality.  The claim was
paid.  If they go to the claimant looking for payment of an accepted
claim they can be accused of "Bad Faith" claims practices.  Any
pressure that they apply toward the claimant can be construed the
same way.  It is time to contact the State Insurance Commission,
the body that "regulates" the insurance laws and companies.